What does an Information Technology Project Manager do?
Plan, initiate, and manage information technology (IT) projects. Lead and guide the work of technical staff. Serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. Plan project stages and assess business implications for each stage. Monitor progress to assure deadlines, standards, and cost targets are met.
- Perform risk assessments to develop response strategies.
- Submit project deliverables, ensuring adherence to quality standards.
- Monitor the performance of project team members, providing and documenting performance feedback.
- Confer with project personnel to identify and resolve problems.
- Assess current or future customer needs and priorities through communicating directly with customers, conducting surveys, or other methods.
- Schedule and facilitate meetings related to information technology projects.
- Monitor or track project milestones and deliverables.
- Negotiate with project stakeholders or suppliers to obtain resources or materials.
- Initiate, review, or approve modifications to project plans.
- Identify, review, or select vendors or consultants to meet project needs.
- Establish and execute a project communication plan.
- Identify need for initial or supplemental project resources.
- Direct or coordinate activities of project personnel.
- Develop implementation plans that include analyses such as cost-benefit or return on investment (ROI).
- Coordinate recruitment or selection of project personnel.
- Develop and manage annual budgets for information technology projects.
- Assign duties, responsibilities, and spans of authority to project personnel.
- Prepare project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Manage project execution to ensure adherence to budget, schedule, and scope.
- Develop or update project plans for information technology projects including information such as project objectives, technologies, systems, information specifications, schedules, funding, and staffing.
- Develop and manage work breakdown structure (WBS) of information technology projects.