What does an Industrial Engineering Technologist do?
Assist industrial engineers in such activities as quality control, inventory control, or material flow methods. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
- Interpret engineering drawings, sketches, or diagrams.
- Prepare schedules for equipment use or routine maintenance.
- Request equipment upgrades or purchases.
- Supervise production workers.
- Create computer applications for manufacturing processes or operations, using computer-aided design (CAD) or computer-assisted manufacturing (CAM) tools.
- Oversee or inspect production processes.
- Prepare reports regarding inventories of raw materials or finished products.
- Modify equipment or processes to improve resource or cost efficiency.
- Develop or conduct quality control tests to ensure consistent production quality.
- Compile operational data to develop cost or time estimates, schedules, or specifications.
- Collect and analyze data related to quality or industrial health and safety programs.
- Analyze operational, production, economic, or other data, using statistical procedures.
- Prepare layouts of machinery or equipment, using drafting equipment or computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Plan the flow of work or materials to maximize efficiency.
- Monitor and control inventory.
- Conduct time and motion studies to identify opportunities to improve worker efficiency.
- Design plant or production facility layouts.
- Develop or implement programs to address problems related to production, materials, safety, or quality.
- Analyze, estimate, or report production costs.
- Analyze material flows or supply chains to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and conserve energy.
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable and nonsustainable designs.
- Develop computerized diagnostic tools to integrate measurements in real time and reduce production downtime.
- Integrate high-speed loops and advanced control algorithms with graphical system designs to improve the efficiency of production operations.