What does an Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Study Teacher, Postsecondary do?
Teach courses pertaining to the culture and development of an area, an ethnic group, or any other group, such as Latin American studies, women's studies, or urban affairs. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as race and ethnic relations, gender studies, and cross-cultural perspectives.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula, and on career issues.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Select and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Incorporate experiential or site visit components into courses.
- Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Participate in campus and community events, such as giving public lectures about research.