What does a Solar Photovoltaic Installer do?
Assemble, install, or maintain solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on roofs or other structures in compliance with site assessment and schematics. May include measuring, cutting, assembling, and bolting structural framing and solar modules. May perform minor electrical work such as current checks.
- Assemble solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified.
- Install active solar systems, including solar collectors, concentrators, pumps, or fans.
- Install photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards using drawings, schematics, and instructions.
- Perform routine photovoltaic (PV) system maintenance on modules, arrays, batteries, power conditioning equipment, safety systems, structural systems, weather sealing, or balance of systems equipment.
- Activate photovoltaic (PV) systems to verify system functionality and conformity to performance expectations.
- Apply weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms.
- Check electrical installation for proper wiring, polarity, grounding, or integrity of terminations.
- Determine appropriate sizes, ratings, and locations for all system overcurrent devices, disconnect devices, grounding equipment, and surge suppression equipment.
- Determine connection interfaces for additional subpanels or for connecting photovoltaic (PV) systems with utility services or other power generation sources.
- Determine photovoltaic (PV) system designs or configurations based on factors such as customer needs, expectations, and site conditions.
- Diagram layouts and locations for photovoltaic (PV) arrays and equipment, including existing building or site features.
- Examine designs to determine current requirements for all parts of the photovoltaic (PV) system electrical circuit.
- Identify and resolve any deficiencies in photovoltaic (PV) system installation or materials.
- Identify electrical, environmental, and safety hazards associated with photovoltaic (PV) installations.
- Identify installation locations with proper orientation, area, solar access, or structural integrity for photovoltaic (PV) arrays.
- Identify methods for laying out, orienting, and mounting modules or arrays to ensure efficient installation, electrical configuration, or system maintenance.
- Install module array interconnect wiring, implementing measures to disable arrays during installation.
- Install required labels on solar system components and hardware.
- Measure and analyze system performance and operating parameters to assess operating condition of systems or equipment.
- Program, adjust, or configure inverters and controls for desired set points and operating modes.
- Select mechanical designs, installation equipment, or installation plans that conform to environmental, architectural, structural, site, and code requirements.
- Test operating voltages to ensure operation within acceptable limits for power conditioning equipment, such as inverters and controllers.
- Visually inspect and test photovoltaic (PV) modules or systems.
- Compile or maintain records of system operation, performance, and maintenance.
- Demonstrate system functionality and performance, including start-up, shut-down, normal operation, and emergency or bypass operations.
- Determine materials, equipment, and installation sequences necessary to maximize installation efficiency.