What does a Receptionist and Information Clerk do?
Answer inquiries and provide information to the general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties regarding activities conducted at establishment and location of departments, offices, and employees within the organization.
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen, or forward calls, providing information, taking messages, or scheduling appointments.
- Receive payment and record receipts for services.
- Perform administrative support tasks, such as proofreading, transcribing handwritten information, or operating calculators or computers to work with pay records, invoices, balance sheets, or other documents.
- Greet persons entering establishment, determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct or escort them to specific destinations.
- Hear and resolve complaints from customers or the public.
- File and maintain records.
- Transmit information or documents to customers, using computer, mail, or facsimile machine.
- Schedule appointments and maintain and update appointment calendars.
- Analyze data to determine answers to questions from customers or members of the public.
- Provide information about establishment, such as location of departments or offices, employees within the organization, or services provided.
- Keep a current record of staff members' whereabouts and availability.
- Collect, sort, distribute, or prepare mail, messages, or courier deliveries.
- Calculate and quote rates for tours, stocks, insurance policies, or other products or services.
- Take orders for merchandise or materials and send them to the proper departments to be filled.
- Process and prepare memos, correspondence, travel vouchers, or other documents.
- Schedule space or equipment for special programs and prepare lists of participants.
- Enroll individuals to participate in programs and notify them of their acceptance.
- Conduct tours or deliver talks describing features of public facilities, such as a historic site or national park.
- Perform duties, such as taking care of plants or straightening magazines to maintain lobby or reception area.