What does a Proofreader and Copy Marker do?
Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Read corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.