What does a Printing Pres Operator do?
Set up and operate digital, letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, or other printing machines. Includes short-run offset printing presses.
- Adjust digital files to alter print elements, such as fonts, graphics, or color separations.
- Adjust ink fountain flow rates.
- Change press plates, blankets, or cylinders, as required.
- Clean ink fountains, plates, or printing unit cylinders when press runs are completed.
- Clean or oil presses or make minor repairs, using hand tools.
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Download or scan files to be printed, using printing production software.
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions.
- Feed paper through press cylinders and adjust feed and tension controls.
- Input production job settings into workstation terminals that control automated printing systems.
- Load presses with paper and make necessary adjustments, according to paper size.
- Monitor automated press operation systems and respond to fault, error, or alert messages.
- Obtain or mix inks and fill ink fountains.
- Secure printing plates to printing units and adjust tolerances.
- Start presses and pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for a given job.
- Control workflow scheduling or job tracking, using computer database software.
- Direct or monitor work of press crews.
- Download completed jobs to archive media so that questions can be answered or jobs replicated.
- Maintain time or production records.
- Monitor environmental factors, such as humidity and temperature, that may impact equipment performance and make necessary adjustments.
- Monitor inventory levels on a regular basis, ordering or requesting additional supplies, as necessary.
- Set up or operate auxiliary equipment, such as cutting, folding, plate-making, drilling, or laminating machines.