What does a Mortician, Undertaker, and Funeral Director do?
Perform various tasks to arrange and direct funeral services, such as coordinating transportation of body to mortuary, interviewing family or other authorized person to arrange details, selecting pallbearers, aiding with the selection of officials for religious rites, and providing transportation for mourners.
- Consult with families or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details, such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, or plans for services.
- Obtain information needed to complete legal documents, such as death certificates or burial permits.
- Oversee the preparation and care of the remains of people who have died.
- Contact cemeteries to schedule the opening and closing of graves.
- Provide information on funeral service options, products, or merchandise and maintain a casket display area.
- Offer counsel and comfort to bereaved families or friends.
- Close caskets and lead funeral corteges to churches or burial sites.
- Arrange for clergy members to perform needed services.
- Provide or arrange transportation between sites for the remains, mourners, pallbearers, clergy, or flowers.
- Perform embalming duties as necessary.
- Direct preparations and shipment of bodies for out-of-state burial.
- Discuss and negotiate prearranged funerals with clients.
- Inform survivors of benefits for which they may be eligible.
- Maintain financial records, order merchandise, or prepare accounts.
- Plan placement of caskets at funeral sites or place or adjust lights, fixtures, or floral displays.
- Arrange for pallbearers or inform pallbearers or honorary groups of their duties.
- Receive or usher people to their seats for services.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate funerals, burials, or cremations, arranging details such as floral delivery or the time and place of services.
- Manage funeral home operations, including the hiring, training, or supervision of embalmers, funeral attendants, or other staff.
- Clean funeral home facilities and grounds.
- Participate in community activities for funeral home promotion or other purposes.