What does a Model do?
Model garments or other apparel and accessories for prospective buyers at fashion shows, private showings, or retail establishments. May pose for photos to be used in magazines or advertisements. May pose as subject for paintings, sculptures, and other types of artistic expression.
- Pose for artists and photographers.
- Gather information from agents concerning the pay, dates, times, provisions, and lengths of jobs.
- Follow strict routines of diet, sleep, and exercise to maintain appearance.
- Record rates of pay and durations of jobs on vouchers.
- Report job completions to agencies and obtain information about future appointments.
- Assemble and maintain portfolios, print composite cards, and travel to go-sees to obtain jobs.
- Work closely with photographers, fashion coordinators, directors, producers, stylists, make-up artists, other models, and clients to produce the desired looks, and to finish photo shoots on schedule.
- Apply makeup to face and style hair to enhance appearance, considering such factors as color, camera techniques, and facial features.
- Display clothing and merchandise in commercials, advertisements, or fashion shows.
- Promote products and services in television commercials, on film, or in videos.
- Make many quick changes backstage during fashion shows and yet maintain poised appearance before audiences.
- Pose as directed, or strike suitable interpretive poses for promoting and selling merchandise or fashions during appearances, filming, or photo sessions.
- Dress in sample or completed garments, and select accessories.
- Wear character costumes and impersonate characters portrayed to amuse children and adults.
- Stand, turn, and walk to demonstrate features of garments for observers at fashion shows, private showings, and retail establishments.
- Hand out samples or gifts, demonstrate products, and converse with children and adults while dressed in costume.
- Inform prospective purchasers about models, numbers, and prices of garments, the garments' designers, and where garments can be purchased.