What does a Millwright do?
Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
- Replace defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Align machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Connect power unit to machines or steam piping to equipment, and test unit to evaluate its mechanical operation.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Position steel beams to support bedplates of machines and equipment, using blueprints and schematic drawings, to determine work procedures.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Move machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
- Attach moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Assemble machines, and bolt, weld, rivet, or otherwise fasten them to foundation or other structures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lay out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Bolt parts, such as side and deck plates, jaw plates, and journals, to basic assembly unit.
- Level bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantle machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Shrink-fit bushings, sleeves, rings, liners, gears, and wheels to specified items, using portable gas heating equipment.
- Dismantle machinery and equipment for shipment to installation site, usually performing installation and maintenance work as part of team.
- Construct foundation for machines, using hand tools and building materials such as wood, cement, and steel.
- Install robot and modify its program, using teach pendant.
- Operate engine lathe to grind, file, and turn machine parts to dimensional specifications.
- Conduct preventative maintenance and repair, and lubricate machines and equipment.
- Weld, repair, and fabricate equipment or machinery.
- Fabricate and dismantle parts, equipment, and machines using a cutting torch or other cutting equipment.
- Troubleshoot equipment, electrical components, hydraulics, or other mechanical systems.