What does a Meter Reader, Utility do?
Read meter and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
- Read electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and enter data in route books or hand-held computers.
- Walk or drive vehicles along established routes to take readings of meter dials.
- Upload into office computers all information collected on hand-held computers during meter rounds, or return route books or hand-held computers to business offices so that data can be compiled.
- Verify readings in cases where consumption appears to be abnormal, and record possible reasons for fluctuations.
- Inspect meters for unauthorized connections, defects, and damage such as broken seals.
- Report to service departments any problems such as meter irregularities, damaged equipment, or impediments to meter access, including dogs.
- Answer customers' questions about services and charges, or direct them to customer service centers.
- Update client address and meter location information.
- Leave messages to arrange different times to read meters in cases in which meters are not accessible.
- Connect and disconnect utility services at specific locations.
- Collect past-due bills.
- Report lost or broken keys.