What does a Mechanical Engineering Technologist do?
Assist mechanical engineers in such activities as generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy. Prepare layouts of machinery or equipment or plan the flow of work. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
- Prepare equipment inspection schedules, reliability schedules, work plans, or other records.
- Prepare cost and materials estimates or project schedules.
- Provide technical support to other employees regarding mechanical design, fabrication, testing, or documentation.
- Interpret engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment, such as leak detectors, glove boxes, or mechanical pumps.
- Design specialized or customized equipment, machines, or structures.
- Design molds, tools, dies, jigs, or fixtures for use in manufacturing processes.
- Conduct failure analyses, document results, and recommend corrective actions.
- Assist engineers to design, develop, test, or manufacture industrial machinery, consumer products, or other equipment.
- Analyze or estimate production costs, such as labor, equipment, or plant space.
- Apply testing or monitoring apparatus to operating equipment.
- Test machines, components, materials, or products to determine characteristics such as performance, strength, or response to stress.
- Prepare specifications, designs, or sketches for machines, components, or systems related to the generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy.
- Prepare layouts of machinery, tools, plants, or equipment.
- Inspect and test mechanical equipment.
- Oversee, monitor, or inspect mechanical installations or construction projects.
- Assist mechanical engineers in product testing through activities such as setting up instrumentation for automobile crash tests.
- Assemble or disassemble complex mechanical systems.
- Analyze energy requirements and distribution systems to maximize the use of intermittent or inflexible renewable energy sources, such as wind or nuclear.
- Assist engineers to design or develop electrochemical devices, such as solid oxide membranes or other products for sustainable applications.
- Conduct statistical studies to analyze or compare production costs for sustainable and nonsustainable designs.