What does a Makeup Artist, Theatrical and Performance do?
Apply makeup to performers to reflect period, setting, and situation of their role.
- Confer with stage or motion picture officials and performers in order to determine desired effects.
- Duplicate work precisely in order to replicate characters' appearances on a daily basis.
- Establish budgets, and work within budgetary limits.
- Apply makeup to enhance, and/or alter the appearance of people appearing in productions such as movies.
- Alter or maintain makeup during productions as necessary to compensate for lighting changes or to achieve continuity of effect.
- Select desired makeup shades from stock, or mix oil, grease, and coloring in order to achieve specific color effects.
- Cleanse and tone the skin in order to prepare it for makeup application.
- Assess performers' skin-type in order to ensure that make-up will not cause break-outs or skin irritations.
- Analyze a script, noting events that affect each character's appearance, so that plans can be made for each scene.
- Requisition or acquire needed materials for special effects, including wigs, beards, and special cosmetics.
- Write makeup sheets and take photos in order to document specific looks and the products that were used to achieve the looks.
- Examine sketches, photographs, and plaster models in order to obtain desired character image depiction.
- Attach prostheses to performers and apply makeup in order to create special features or effects such as scars, aging, or illness.
- Evaluate environmental characteristics such as venue size and lighting plans in order to determine makeup requirements.
- Design rubber or plastic prostheses that can be used to change performers' appearances.
- Create character drawings or models, based upon independent research, in order to augment period production files.
- Advise hairdressers on the hairstyles required for character parts.
- Study production information, such as character descriptions, period settings, and situations in order to determine makeup requirements.
- Provide performers with makeup removal assistance after performances have been completed.
- Wash and reset wigs.
- Demonstrate products to clients, and provide instruction in makeup application.