What does a Lodging Manager do?
Plan, direct, or coordinate activities of an organization or department that provides lodging and other accommodations.
- Greet and register guests.
- Answer inquiries pertaining to hotel policies and services, and resolve occupants' complaints.
- Assign duties to workers, and schedule shifts.
- Coordinate front-office activities of hotels or motels, and resolve problems.
- Participate in financial activities, such as the setting of room rates, the establishment of budgets, and the allocation of funds to departments.
- Confer and cooperate with other managers to ensure coordination of hotel activities.
- Manage and maintain temporary or permanent lodging facilities.
- Observe and monitor staff performance to ensure efficient operations and adherence to facility's policies and procedures.
- Train staff members.
- Show, rent, or assign accommodations.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the operation of a department or establishment.
- Inspect guest rooms, public areas, and grounds for cleanliness and appearance.
- Prepare required paperwork pertaining to departmental functions.
- Interview and hire applicants.
- Purchase supplies, and arrange for outside services, such as deliveries, laundry, maintenance and repair, and trash collection.
- Arrange telephone answering services, deliver mail and packages, or answer questions regarding locations for eating and entertainment.
- Perform marketing and public relations activities.
- Organize and coordinate the work of staff and convention personnel for meetings to be held at a particular facility.
- Receive and process advance registration payments, mail letters of confirmation, or return checks when registrations cannot be accepted.
- Meet with clients to schedule and plan details of conventions, banquets, receptions and other functions.
- Provide assistance to staff members by inspecting rooms, setting tables, or doing laundry.
- Book tickets for guests for local tours and attractions.
- Monitor the revenue activity of the hotel or facility.
- Collect payments and record data pertaining to funds and expenditures.