What does a Locksmith and Safe Repairer do?
Repair and open locks; make keys; change locks and safe combinations; and install and repair safes.
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using keycutting machines.
- Keep records of company locks and keys.
- Insert new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combinations.
- Move picklocks in cylinders to open door locks without keys.
- Disassemble mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repair or replace worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Repair and adjust safes, vault doors, and vault components, using hand tools, lathes, drill presses, and welding and acetylene cutting apparatus.
- Install safes, vault doors, and deposit boxes according to blueprints, using equipment such as powered drills, taps, dies, truck cranes, and dollies.
- Open safe locks by drilling.
- Remove interior and exterior finishes on safes and vaults, and spray on new finishes.
- Cut new or duplicate keys using impressions or code key machines.
- Set up and maintain master key systems.
- Install door hardware such as locks and closers.
- Install alarm and electronic access systems.
- Unlock cars and other vehicles.