What does a Helpers--Roofer do?
Help roofers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Check to ensure that completed roofs are watertight.
- Sweep and clean roofs to prepare them for the application of new roofing materials.
- Locate worn or torn areas in roofs.
- Clean work areas and equipment.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Cover roofs with layers of roofing felt or asphalt strips before installing tile, slate, or composition materials.
- Remove old roofing materials.
- Unload materials and tools from work trucks, and unroll roofing as directed.
- Set ladders, scaffolds, and hoists in place for taking supplies to roofs.
- Place tiles, nail them to roof boards, and cover nailheads with roofing cement.
- Provide assistance to skilled roofers installing and repairing roofs, flashings, and surfaces.
- Attach roofing paper and composition shingles, using nails.
- Perform emergency leak repairs and general maintenance for a variety of roof types.
- Attach sheets of metal to roof boards or building frameworks when installing metal roofs.
- Hoist tar and roofing materials to roofs, using ropes and pulleys, or carry materials up ladders.
- Apply shingles, gravel, or asphalt over the top layer of tar to protect the roofing material.
- Chop tar into small pieces, and heat chopped tar in kettles.
- Clear drains and downspouts and clean gutters.