What does a Chief Sustainability Officer do?
Communicate and coordinate with management, shareholders, customers, and employees to address sustainability issues. Enact or oversee a corporate sustainability strategy.
- Identify educational, training, or other development opportunities for sustainability employees or volunteers.
- Identify and evaluate pilot projects or programs to enhance the sustainability research agenda.
- Conduct sustainability- or environment-related risk assessments.
- Create and maintain sustainability program documents, such as schedules and budgets.
- Write project proposals, grant applications, or other documents to pursue funding for environmental initiatives.
- Supervise employees or volunteers working on sustainability projects.
- Write and distribute financial or environmental impact reports.
- Review sustainability program objectives, progress, or status to ensure compliance with policies, standards, regulations, or laws.
- Formulate or implement sustainability campaign or marketing strategies.
- Research environmental sustainability issues, concerns, or stakeholder interests.
- Evaluate and approve proposals for sustainability projects, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and integration with other initiatives.
- Develop sustainability reports, presentations, or proposals for supplier, employee, academia, media, government, public interest, or other groups.
- Develop, or oversee the development of, sustainability evaluation or monitoring systems.
- Develop, or oversee the development of, marketing or outreach media for sustainability projects or events.
- Develop methodologies to assess the viability or success of sustainability initiatives.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of sustainability programs.
- Direct sustainability program operations to ensure compliance with environmental or governmental regulations.
- Develop or execute strategies to address issues such as energy use, resource conservation, recycling, pollution reduction, waste elimination, transportation, education, and building design.