What does a Biofuels/Biodiesel Technology and Product Development Manager do?
Define, plan, or execute biofuels/biodiesel research programs that evaluate alternative feedstock and process technologies with near-term commercial potential.
- Develop lab scale models of industrial scale processes, such as fermentation.
- Develop computational tools or approaches to improve biofuels research and development activities.
- Develop carbohydrates arrays and associated methods for screening enzymes involved in biomass conversion.
- Provide technical or scientific guidance to technical staff in the conduct of biofuels research or development.
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of, experimental plans for biofuels research or development.
- Prepare biofuels research and development reports for senior management or technical professionals.
- Perform protein functional analysis and engineering for processing of feedstock and creation of biofuels.
- Develop separation processes to recover biofuels.
- Develop methods to recover ethanol or other fuels from complex bioreactor liquid and gas streams.
- Develop methods to estimate the efficiency of biomass pretreatments.
- Design or execute solvent or product recovery experiments in laboratory or field settings.
- Design or conduct applied biodiesel or biofuels research projects on topics such as transport, thermodynamics, mixing, filtration, distillation, fermentation, extraction, and separation.
- Design chemical conversion processes, such as etherification, esterification, interesterification, transesterification, distillation, hydrogenation, oxidation or reduction of fats and oils, and vegetable oil refining.
- Conduct experiments on biomass or pretreatment technologies.
- Conduct experiments to test new or alternate feedstock fermentation processes.
- Analyze data from biofuels studies, such as fluid dynamics, water treatments, or solvent extraction and recovery processes.
- Oversee biodiesel/biofuels prototyping or development projects.
- Propose new biofuels products, processes, technologies or applications based on findings from applied biofuels or biomass research projects.
- Conduct research to breed or develop energy crops with improved biomass yield, environmental adaptability, pest resistance, production efficiency, bioprocessing characteristics, or reduced environmental impacts.